Here at MuellerAustinTexas, we know different issues that are going on around the neighborhood. There are common household problems that we sometimes see as small things. These kind of issues are usually too small to call someone for help but sometimes these small issues can be a real big deal. These common household problems are actually easy to fix and you can even do it yourself.
MuellerAustinTexas Tips | Common Household Problems #1
One example is the jammed garbage disposal. This is one of the common household problems that you can fix yourself. You know your garbage disposal is already clogged when you turn it on and it makes a humming sound and nothing else happen. Remember you should not force it to grind up but instead, follow these steps to troubleshoot the problem:
Tools needed: Flashlight, pliers or tongs, hex wrench (also known as an Allen wrench)
- Turn off the garbage disposal or switch off the electrical circuit that feeds it.
- Shine a flashlight into the garbage disposal, and use pliers or tongs to pull out whatever is clogging it. Never put your hand into the garbage disposal! If you locate and remove the object right away, you should solve the problem. If not, move to step 3.
- Option A: If your garbage disposal has a reversal feature, run cold water into the disposal and run it in reverse. This should push up whatever is lodged in there so you can remove it.
Option B: If your garbage disposal does not have a reversal feature, take the following steps.
- Turn off the power at the circuit breaker (if you didn’t already in step 1).
- Go underneath the sink and locate the hole at the bottom of the disposal. Stick the end of the hex wrench into the hole and work it back and forth in both directions. The goal is to free up the impeller blade, which may be stuck. Once you can turn the wrench completely in a full circle, you should be able to go back to step 2 and free the object.
- Push the reset button and run cold water through the disposal for about a minute.
- Turn the garbage disposal back on.
MuellerAustinTexas Tips | Common Household Problems #2
This next common household problem is for sure experienced by nearly everyone – loose toilet seat! No matter how much you retighten the hinge bolt nut, it will most likely come loose again. Here’s how you can fix it:
Tools needed: A toilet seat tightening kit, found in the plumbing section of most home improvement stores
- Remove the hinge bolt covers from the toilet seat.
- Loosen and remove the nut that is holding the hinge bolt in place. Leave the hinge bolts in place.
- Using the tool provided in the kit, slide a washer from the toilet seat tightening kit onto the hinge bolt, underneath the toilet. Slide it up the bolt so it’s wedged tightly into the underside of the hinge bolt hole.
- Replace the hinge bolt nut and tighten it into place. Replace the hinge bolt cover.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
MuellerAustinTexas Tips | Common Household Problems #3
One last common household problem we often encounter is the sticking or misaligned door. There might be several causes for a door to stick or not properly close. There are possible remedies that include installing a hinge with a cardboard to realign the door. You can also put a screw into a jamb to pull it in or simply take down the door and planing the edge so the door swings freely.
Before you try to do the big work, always start with the simpler steps. Here’s a 10-minute fix that might end the problem:
Tools needed: Cordless screwdriver, wood glue, wooden matches or toothpicks
- Remove the screws from the hinge, then remove the hinge from the door or jamb (whichever hinge side is loose).
- Put a drop or two of wood glue into each of the screw holes.
- Take some wooden matches (the wood part only) or some wooden toothpicks, and put one or more in each of the holes. Wait 10 minutes, then snap off the excess wood.
- Reattach the hinge with the screws. It should be nice and tight!
MuellerAustinTexas is active in everything that happens around Mueller. If there’s anything you would like to know about living in Mueller or Austin Real Estate in general, please do not hesitate to give us a ring at 512-215-4785. You may also ‘Like’ our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter for more frequent posts, news and updates.